Friday, June 13, 2008

Home

I miss Indiana. I took a walk tonight, around the driveway, through my grandma's gardens, and down to the barn. It was so refreshing to feel the cool breeze and hear the crickets chirping. As I walked, trying to distinguish shapes in the dark, it was so good to see beds full of flowers and neat rows of vegetables instead of the scrawny potted plants I'm trying to grow at home. A few brave lightning bugs dotted the open fields and I heard the heavy breaths and soft lowing of the cattle in the barns. The familiar scents of damp hay, animals, and mud were highlighted by sweet wild mint, and as I turned to trace the silhouettes of trees against the sky, I felt a great sense of peace. It seems to me that even the rainy sky is more beautiful here.



It has been so good to be here with my mom. After so many years of her caring for me, it's good to be able to return the favor in some small way. I was so frightened when I first learned about my mom's cancer. I wasn't sure that I would be able to handle the thought of her, the strongest woman I know, lying pale in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of her every which way. And there were even scarier thoughts, the horrible "what-ifs" that come in the darkest moments. But God is good, and her cancer was contained. What amazing people the Kingdom of God contains! What wonderful faith and encouragement, what prayer warriors! We are never alone, praise the Lord for that.

No comments: