Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Garden, pre-planning

My childhood home was located in the country, and we lived next door to my grandparents.  Every summer, in between our two houses, they and my parents planted a huge garden to share between the six of us, and other aunts and uncles when we had a bumper crop.  My summer chores most often included weeding and picking veggies from the garden (strawberries were the worst!).  
The place I'm living now doesn't have any room for a real garden, and last summer I planted lots of things in pots.  But this summer, a friend of mine who has some extra space around his house, has offered to let me plant a REAL garden!  I don't really know what I'm doing, and the process will probably include a lot of calling home to my parents to find out how to do certain things.  But as long as I can keep the deer from eating everything I plant, I think I'll be in good shape!
I started by going to the garden shop and buying WAY too many seeds, stuff to start the plants indoors, and making charts and lists.  I keep telling myself not to go too big, and not to go overboard and grow so many things that I can't eat them!  But I don't really think I succeeded...  Regardless this will be a fun experiment!  

2009 Garden Plants

HERBS:
parsley
lavender
oregano
cilantro
chives
dill
basil
spearmint
stevia 

VEGGIES:
beefsteak tomatoes
cherry tomatoes
cucumbers
pickling cucumbers
eggplant
sweet corn
zucchini squash
yellow squash
red/green peppers
purple/red peppers
jalapeno peppers
hot peppers mix
lettuce
spinach


FLOWERS:
poppy
zinnia

No comments: